Here’s how you can manage electronic documents
Nowadays, most business operations rely on some form of computer program, consisting of document management. To successfully manage and manipulate the most integral information of your organization, you want to adopt and enforce the right electronic document management system (EDMS).
Today, we’ll cover the entirety you need to know about this process, including nice practices and what you need to appear for in document management software.
What is electronic document management?
Document management is the strategic self-discipline of storing, categorizing, sharing, and organizing your enterprise information to meet your commercial enterprise goals.
So, electronic document management refers to the use of pc software or digital filing to make this process greater efficient.
By digitizing paper files and storing them in the cloud, you’re in a position to find information faster, as properly as make it greater effectively reachable to others who may additionally need it.
But electronic document management isn’t simply about being cloud-based. It’s about standardizing your document-related business processes and imparting clear tips to deal with documentation, so you can be organized even for something like disaster restoration or imparting records for audit trails.
When you have a described direction of motion for every step in your document administration or archives administration process, you can clear up problems faster, innovate greater often, and make better decisions.
To make all this possible, document management systems provide a broad range of features, including:
- Internal search: discover digital documents immediately with the aid of typing key phrases in an uncomplicated search bar
- Communication: centralize your communications in a single place
- Archiving and retrieval: archive and fix vital files at will
- Version controls: discover the exclusive versions of your documents
- Metadata: section documents based totally on summarized information
- Storage and categorization: categorize your documents based totally on certain criteria
- File sharing: share documents with applicable key participants and stakeholders
Why is electronic document management so important for organizations?
On average, teams waste 5 hours per week waiting for information. A study has found that eight out of ten employees sense frustrated when they aren’t able to find digital documents when they need them.
Even though organizations have usually dealt with information, the typical way of managing archives is certainly no longer efficient. As your commercial enterprise grows, so does the need to cope with these exceptional archives in an organized, secure, and strategic way, which can be a challenge.
For example, let’s say that you’re an accounting firm with 50 clients. Each month, you create three essential documents for each client:
- A balance sheet
- A cash flow statement
- A profit statement
Based on this, you produce 150 new documents a month. That’s 1,800 documents per year.
Imagine that one of your clients is doing an audit and requests a balance sheet you created a few years ago. Searching through heaps of paper to find it could take months — in particular, if it by accident ended up in the incorrect folder or box.
On the different hand, an electronic document administration system should assist you in spotting that specific sheet in seconds.
What are the best practices for managing documents online?
Without the proper practices in place, digital record management is just a technical capability. To have successful, prepared record management, you need sincerely defined and scalable guiding principles.
So now that you understand the basics of this model, let’s shortly explore some of the best practices to implement report administration in your business.
Implement document control and regulation
Document management and rules refer to the advent of precise policies and tips your team ought to observe when dealing with organizational information, which includes report assessment and approval, best assurance, and protection procedures, like regulatory compliance.
The report control lifestyles cycle explained
These rules will prevent mistakes when managing documents.
Let’s discover some of the high-quality practices for document control:
- Streamline your file approval workflow: outline a particular path of motion from file advent to delivery. With monday.com, you can create an automated document approval workflow.
- Centralize your workspace: get rid of silos between departments by using constructing a central repository of information and information.
- Define clear great standards: outline what success potential for you and what deliverables should seem like when they’re ready.
- Control modifications and purchaser requests: put in force exchange requests and administration manner for your documentation.
- Increase organization-wide transparency: make your document-related procedure extra obvious and accessible for your team.
By adopting these practices, you’ll be capable of better management of your document workflow and make ensure your team is aware of what they need to be doing and when.
Prevent unintentional information breaches and unauthorized access
Managing sensitive documents online includes some risks. Since you’re storing documents in the cloud, your files are also available to rivals and hackers.
That’s why you want to put in force proper protection measures to guard your information and make certain solely the proper people can get admission to it, including:
- Setting permission levels: set permission levels and outline what precise crew individuals can or can no longer do with your documents.
- Using an impermeable platform: use a platform that meets even the most rigorous protection requirements in your industry (just for the record, monday.com complies with SO/IEC 27001:2013).
- Backing up mission-critical information: create a backup for your most applicable documents regularly.
- Even though these practices don’t guarantee the integrity of your data, they’ll make it harder for anybody who needs to steal it.
Continuously audit changes
As your business grows, you’ll deal with one-of-a-kind variations of your documents. This is particularly true for organisations that create new archives on a continuous groundwork (e.g., a content advertising organization that produces content material for clients).
You need to make positive that your chosen DMS lets you bring up the full records of your records and visualize who made what changes and when. This way, you can get more manipulate over record modifications and rapidly get better old variations in case you need them.
Standardize your document storage processes
Having a big database of files can lead to some problems, like difficulty in finding specific files shortly or growing cloud storage costs. Standardizing your storage strategies can assist you in remedying these challenges.
Some useful approaches to do it include:
- Using a well-known file naming process: identify your documents using metadata, making it easier to search and retrieve files later.
- Constantly archiving or deleting out-of-date documents: delete or archive documents you’re no longer using.
Adopt a dependable DMS
At the end of the day, it all boils down to selecting the proper DMS for your agency — a system that adapts to your business wants and offers the necessary infrastructure to control and guard your files the proper way.
Sign up to monday.com South Africa – Activation or Trial Link and track time with monday.com South Africa.
Interested in uncovering CRM with monday.com then hit the link below and start your monday.com journey, partnering with Syscor all the way.
Book a call for monday.com Pro Services in South Africa and Africa
Once you have an active account Syscor can assist with a full consulting and professional services stack, including:
- Process design
- Workflow design
- Workspace builds
- Board builds
- App integration
Syscor is a sales, installation, and support partner to monday.com, having completed many successful projects on monday.com. Thus making us very experienced. Syscor has clients that range from Tanzanian Banks to small manufacturing businesses in South Africa, for instance. Our reach is completely continental.
Syscor’s Consulting team are all qualified to deliver a full installation and support offering, meaning we offer turn-key services. We will gladly share any referrals, in order to give you peace of mind. So you can embark on your monday.com journey, with confidence.
For more information check out our social pages